The easiest home-made caramel corn recipe that’s cheaper to make and so much more delicious than any store-bought version.
Fair warning: you might just cry from happiness with the first taste. If we’re all stuck at home with TV reruns, you might as well top it off with this dangerously addictive treat.
1/2 cup of un-popped popcorn kernels
1/8 cup oil (your choice – whatever you normally pop your popcorn with.)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup high fructose corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Pop your 1/2 cup of kernels with the oil over the stove or in your popcorn machine. Pour all of your popped corn into a large paper bag. Fold and set aside.
- Mix together butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in a large glass measuring cup (or microwavable bowl), and place in the microwaves – 1 minute increments, and stirring in between each set. Continue this a few times until the mixture is boiling. Take caution that if your container is too small, the mixture will boil over the edges very quickly – it’s a sticky mess that isn’t easy to clean and you’ll have to start over!
- After microwaving the final round, pull out the boiling mixture from the microwave, and with your wire whisk, mix in the baking soda + vanilla. Mix well until the baking soda is well distributed. Then quickly pour the contents into the paper bag with the popcorn, fold the bag down a few times and shake well.
- After shaking, make sure the bag is folded and place it in the microwave. Microwave your caramel corn for 30 second increments, and pull it out and shake in between rounds. Repeat this for 3-4 rounds. Make sure that the bag is compressed/folded enough so that it’s constantly rotating in the microwave — it will burn very easily if it isn’t!
- Fresh out of the microwave, quickly pour all of the caramel corn into a big bowl, and let it cool, while stirring every minute or so to prevent all the kernels from sticking together in 1 big glob. Taste and add more salt if you need.
- voila! c’est fini! Now plop that booty down on the couch with your caramel corn and pick a Netflix movie. Don’t forget the Perrier!